Welcome SU Basketball Fans

Some humorous and insightful progress of our Seattle U Men's Basketball team from a rabid alumus- Season four in return to Division I


Sunday, February 20, 2011

SU Redhawks vs. UW Huskies a "Three Part Series"

Part One.  I have Courtside Seats and you don't.  Yes that is not me to the left, but Steven Tyler sits pretty close in the Boston Garden in relation to where I sit in KeyArena and yes, I can make that face when Sterling Carter sinks a three pointer! - Of course, then my ribs get poked by Rothrock's elbow.

Now what is this "Three Part Series," about?  It is about history, passion, building the monster, friends and bringing the community together, growing boys to men and a whole lot of other stuff.  So there will be one blog tonight, one blog Monday afternoon and one blog Tuesday morning - which will be devoted to Seattle University Men's Basketball for 24 hours - no job search, no laundry, uh but yes I will need to feed the dogs.

There are five people(s) that are the reason I love Seattle U basketball and why I will sit in the seats I will have for the rest of eternity and why I believe we will be in the NCAA Finals and I will be sitting there too!

1. Former eight year SU coach Joe Callero whom I have know for 38 years who had a dream and jump started the resurgence (I love that word) back to Division I basketball.

2. Athletic Director Bill Hogan who has been a tireless mentor to me and leader to the program and is a kick in the ass to hang out with. (Can I say that NCAA?)

3. Now present Coach Cameron Dollar, who looks at you with superman x-ray vision and makes you freeze to listen to his words.  Who continues the vision, work ethic and mission of building the historic program back to where it belongs or even farther.

4. A special man - John Dougherty who in the 1960's as the President of the Tomahawk Club for SU sat in the exact same seats (then the Coliseum) on the court that I do - as I am the President of the Courtside Club in alumni and community support for the program to resurgence.  John is another tireless warrior to the program.  By the way my seats kick ass!  Just ask the referees.

5. The alumni.  So many great relationships have sprung from the unity that I may have never discovered, the O'Brien's, the Grimm Brothers, Steve Looney and crew, Terry Thomas, Matt Moran, and Mr. Elbow Rothrock, Bill Eisminger, Anita Willis-Crawford and more and more and more.  Look, this ain't no Academy Award speech here so you get the drift I can't list you all.

The point, Tuesday February 22nd SU host the University of Washington Huskies  in my house KeyArena and I really can't trash them for I have a very high basketball IQ and they are a formidable opponent with a great history in the past with us; which why the renewed rivalry now in year three has brought SU's program back and all the five people(s) listed above for me to love Seattle University Basketball and Seattle University!  And you should too!

Part two on Monday afternoon - "Who gets to sit with me?"

Don't forget the Cameron Dollar show Monday Feb 21st on KIRO AM 710 ESPN with David Grosby and Gary Hill 8 pm at Jimmy's on Broadway.

Yeah. I know this was a pretty "sappy" part one but I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment